Breast Cancer Surgeon in Mumbai
Looking for a top breast cancer surgeon in Mumbai? You are in the right place. There are many misconceptions about breast cancer surgery; choosing the right surgeon is the first step toward a problem-free recovery. Dr. Garvit Chitkara is a leading breast oncology surgeon in Mumbai
Dr. Garvit Chitkara is one of the best breast cancer surgeons in Mumbai. Currently, he is a Senior Consultant in Breast surgical oncology and oncoplasty at Nanavati Max Institute of Cancer care in Nanavati Max Super Specialty Hospital, Mumbai.
He is a highly acclaimed practicing oncologist who has been trained at the prestigious Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. He was inducted as faculty at Tata memorial hospital immediately upon completion of his training and has trained the next generation of cancer surgeons there.
Do You Experience Signs of Breast Cancer? Not to Worry!
If you or someone you know has just been diagnosed or experience signs of breast cancer, read this brief, easy guide to understand the next steps.
Book an Appointment
Services offered by Dr. Garvit Chitkara
Breast cancer surgeries
- Breast conservation surgery is a procedure where only the cancer is removed while conserving the rest of the breast. The idea of breast conservation is to remove as less of tissue as possible while leaving behind a cosmetically acceptable breast.
- Mastectomy is the second type of breast cancer surgery that you need to know about. Mastectomy, also known as modified radical mastectomy, is where all the tissue in a woman’s breast, including the nipple and areola, nearby lymph nodes are removed.
- There are many other options of breast cancer surgeries that vary based on your specific needs or what your surgeon recommends. You can talk with Dr. Garvit Chitkara about which option would be best for you, but knowing these two types of surgeries will give you good insight into what to expect from your own procedure.
Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction surgery
- Oncoplastic breast surgery is an amalgamation of onco surgery and plastic reconstruction.
- In oncoplastic breast surgery, the breast is reshaped or reconstructed using bodies own tissues or implants to partially or completely recreate the breast while ensuring a good oncological safety and outcome.
- Dr. Garvit Chitkara has been practicing breast oncoplatic surgery with excellent cosmetic and oncological results
Axillary conservation surgeries
- Like conservation of breast, conservation of axilla is also possible where instead of removing all the lymphnodes from the axilla only a small sample is removed and checked in the lab by frozen section examination.
- The small sample that is to be removed is identified either by injecting radioactive dye, indocyanine green dye or /and blue dye near the tumour.
- These lymphnodes are picked up under the guidance of a gamma or a near infra red camera.
Management of Benign breast diseases
Benign breast disease conditions are a group of diseases which can range from a simple cyst to granulomatous mastitis, these are NON cancerous diseases but can be equally unnerving and difficult to treat. Dr. Garvit Chitkara has deep knowledge and experience of treating benign breast diseases.
- Surgery to remove lumps – lumpectomy
- Oral drugs for mastitis or similar infections
- Scarless removal of Fibroadenomas using ultra modern techniques like VABB( Vaccum Assisted breast Biopsy)
VABB is used in very specific situations like benign breast tumours like Fibroadenomas,to biopsy Microcalcifications, to biopsy other lesions in the breast to rule out multicentricity.
It offers the benefit of being scarless and can be done under local anesthesia. Dr. Garvit Chitkara offers VABB regularly to all eligible patients.
Management of Breast Cancer
There are several ways to treat and manage breast cancer. The exact approach depends upon the type of breast cancer and how much it has spread. It is likely that the patient will undergo a combination of the following treatment
- Surgery – An operation wherein the doctors remove cancer from the breast
- Chemotherapy – Medication prescribed to shrink the size of cancer cells or kill them. The medication can are generally in the form of intravenous drugs that are infused through venous canulae of chemoport.
- Hormone/ Endocrine Therapy – These are oral drugs which are used in Hormone positive breast cancer patients and help in hormonal manipulation to prevent breast cancer growth and recurrence.
- Targeted Therapy – Targeted therapy is given to breast cancer patient who have HER2neu amplified tumours. This is intravenous therapy which is given for a year and has minimal side effects.
- Radiation Therapy – The high energy rays are directed to the cancer affected organ of the body in order to destroy the cancer cells. Radiation therapy is a must when the breast is conserved, if the tumour is larger than 5 cms or if there is a spread of cancer cells to axillary Lymph nodes.
About Dr. Garvit Chitkara
Dr. Garvit Chitkara is one of the top breast cancer surgeons in Mumbai, India with an ccomplished expertise in breast cancer surgery and oncoplastic breast surgery. With more than 15 years of experience, Dr. Garvit Chitkara has treated thousands of patients with complex cases offering them evidence based, personalised treatment which gives them the confidence to continue their lives as normally as possible post their cancer treatment.
Why Choose Dr. Garvit Chitkara?
- He was associated with Tata Memorial Hospital where he has studied breast cancer surgery, worked, and even taught the same to the next generation of cancer surgeons.
- He focuses on breast oncoplastic surgeries and offers his patients the best possible comprehensive breast care.
- He pays adequate attention to reducing the apprehensions and anxieties of the patient and their family members.
- He is an extremely patient and calm doctor who reassures the best possible recovery of his patients.
- In addition to his excellent track record, he also offers personalized care for each patient and a state-of-the-art facility where patients can recover after surgery.
- Dr. Chitkara also has a keen interest in Cancer genetics and has completed genetic courses offered by the prestigious Harvard Medical School. He was awarded a certificate of achievement for these courses.
- He amalgamates his knowledge of cancer genetics and oncology to offer the best possible treatment to the patient and also offers preventive strategies for high-risk families.
- Click here to learn more about a few tips that could be followed after surgery as part of a Breast Cancer Treatment
Book an Appointment
Videos Of Dr. Garvit Chitkara
Frequently Asked Questions
Recovery time can vary depending on the type of surgery and individual factors.
It depends on the type of surgery. Lumpectomy typically leaves a small scar, while mastectomy can leave a larger scar.
Complete removal of breast cancer is the goal of breast cancer surgery. Mastectomy is a surgery in which the entire breast is removed, including all of the breast tissue and sometimes other nearby tissues.